Sunday, July 31, 2011

My Grandparents From Back East

   My mother's parents were very different from my father's parents.  My dad's parents immigrated from Italy and had very little formal education.  My mom's father graduated from the University of Pittsburgh.  He also owned, among other cars, a Pontiac convertible.  My father's parents didn't even own a car in their later years.  
     Aside from these major differences, my grandparents on both sides knew each other.  My Great-Grandfather Tata (on my mother's side) was a good friend of my dad's father--both having worked in the Pennsylvania steel mills and both belonging to the Palenese Club (for Italians).  Great-Grandma Tresa (sic) was very close friends with my father's mother--visiting each other often and sipping coffee with fernet or anisette in it.  My dad's mother used to sell candy in front of her house.  My mother's mother used to buy candy from her on her way home from school.  My dad's parents used to buy their medicine from my mother's father's pharmacy in McKeesport.  In fact, one time when both my parents were very young, they played together (my mom was the oldest in her family, my dad was the youngest in his family).  My dad wanted to play cowboys, but my mom was too shy to play.
     I remember the first time my maternal grandparents from back east, came to California to visit us.  They drove across country in their new, red, Pontiac convertible.  Grandpa usually wore a hat and always looked very dapper.  He had a mustache like Grouch Marx.  Grandma also always dressed very fashionably.  When they came to visit us when we lived in Lakewood, California, it was like Bob Hope and Lucille Ball came to town.  All of my father's side of the family came to visit them (they all lived in California by now) because they had all known each other back in Pennsylvania.  I didn't realize how unique it was the both sets of my grandparents were good friends and knew each other long before my parents were married.  I think that even helped allow the marriage to take place because when Dad asked Grandpa if he could marry his daughter, Grandpa asked my dad what his plans were for the future.  Dad said, "I'm not sure."   It was not a great answer, but Grandpa let the wedding take place anyhow.
     When my maternal grandparents came to town, it was like a week-long party.  Relatives visited our house, the stories never ended, and we ate, and ate, and ate.  We went to Knott's Berry Farm.  We went to Disneyland.  We laughed so much.  I remember how my dad would make Grandma and Grandpa laugh until they had tears coming down their faces.  I always thought that it was special how my dad would call his in-laws, "Mom" and "Dad".
     One time, when my grandpa was using the bathroom, I had on my cowboy hat and toy gun and I pushed open the door and yelled, "Stick 'em up, Grandpa!"  Grandpa start shouting for Grandma to come get me out of there!!  Everyone laughed so much.  And we all cried when it was time to say goodbye. 
     My grandparents always treated my sister and me so well.  They visited from back east several times through the years and made it to my sister's wedding as well as my wedding.  Many times, when they would send gifts to us, they would send books because they were sturdy and could be mailed easily from back east.  Many books on our shelves at home right now are inscribed to us from my grandparents.
     Thinking back on it, my Mom made a real sacrifice to move all the way across the country from her parents.  They talked a lot about moving to California when Grandpa retired, but they never did.  I don't know if I can every fully appreciate what my Mom did for us.  I guess that is why she always loved receiving autumn leaves her mom would send her in the mail.
     Because it was always such a festive occasion when they would visit, I have nothing but fond memories of my maternal Grandma and Grandpa.
 

1 comment: