Sunday, August 7, 2011

Blanket and Baskets

Following my interest in Native American Indians, I built a primitive loom and wove the blanket seen here.  It was difficult getting the simple red stripe lines in it.  I have no idea how the Indians wove the intricate and interesting patterns and designs into their blankets.   I took a one-day extension class through University of California, Riverside on Indian Basket Weaving.  I made the small basket on the lower right in that class.  It is a two-sided (inside and outside) loop basket.  We dipped the strands in water to make them pliable--thus fulfilling my Father's teasing about the classes I took in college.   I was actually doing "underwater basket weaving".  The basket on the top left is a rope-coil basket that my cousin, Judy Marquez, who is a high school art teacher, explained how to do.   She is a great teacher because I think it came out pretty good.  It is so tightly woven that it might hold water, but I have never tried it.

No comments:

Post a Comment